Sunday 5 May 2013

Making fabulous Hats!!!!!!!!!!

The Elvish Tailor ran some hat workshops this spring.

I had the great opportunity to learn how to make a straw cloche hat with Anthony this month.  We gathered together in the beautiful sewing room of The Sewing Sessions in Ipswich and had 6 glorious hours to make a hat.  Anthony was an exacting tutor, expecting us to strive to meet his high standards, but a patient and good humoured one.

As well as steaming and shaping our hats on a block, I cut into the brim to make the back curl.  I don't like it when the back of my hat bumps on my collar or scarf.  We then wired the brim and covered the wire in ribbon.  Once we had decorated our hats; with everything from butterflies and feathers to  velvet, chain and flowers, we ribboned up the inside and lined our hats in silk.  I was truly amazed at the professional finish we managed in just 6 hrs.

We were 6 lovely ladies, who made 6 very different hats.

Thank you Anthony, I really hope to make another hat very very soon. x





















No comments: